History of Council Lodge #778
Council Lodge #778 was chartered August 2, 1924 by the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge, A. F. & A. M. of Alabama, Prince Hall Affiliation. The Grand Lodge name was later changed to Most Worshipful Prince Hall Grand Lodge, F. & A. M. of Alabama. The group of visionary Freemasons in Birmingham, moved away from their home lodges and began discussing organizing a lodge based on Faith, Hope, and Charity. The first recorded meeting of the group was on, August 25, 1924, and held at the Masonic Temple in Downtown Birmingham. They gave the group instructions on the formation of a Masonic fraternity. Below is the list of founding members that participated in the communication and elections respectfully.
Council brothers are extremely selective in electing its Worshipful Masters. Every two years since 1924 the fraternity has held its elections. Since 1924 Council has only had four Worshipful Masters. The founding Worshipful Master is Past Master Jesse B. Barker who held the seat in the East from 1924-1940 and again in 1945-59. Past Master William M. Hill served as Worshipful Master in 1941-1945.
After the passing of our founding Worshipful Master Jesse B. Barker in 1959 the lodge elected Willie J. Crawford to be the next Worshipful Master. Past Master Willie J. Crawford held the seat in the East for 23 years from 1959-1982. In 1982 Council elected its next and current Worshipful Master.
Worshipful Master Dennis Simmons has presided over Council #778 since 1982. Worshipful Master Dennis Simmons has been the longest sitting elected Worshipful Master in the Great State of Alabama with 39 years of devotion and selfless service to the brothers of Council Lodge #778. Worshipful Master Dennis Simmons also serves the Most Worshipful Prince Hall Grand Lodge, F. & A. M. of Alabama as Right Worshipful Grand Lodge Endowment Secretary and the Chairmen for the MWPHGL of Alabama credentialing committee.