“Colored” Masonry in the state of Alabama came into existence approximately in 1867, 2 years after the civil war. As early as 1869, there were known to be in the state of Alabama eight or ten properly and traditionally recognized local lodges of Masonry. These lodges operated under charters issued by the states of Ohio, Tennessee, Missouri and what was then known as the National Compact Grand Lodge. In 1870 the first Colored Grand Lodge in the state of Alabama was organized.
The Colored Grand Lodge for the State of Alabama, lodges attending this convention were Olive Branch Lodge No. 1, Strangers Lodge No. 27, and Hiram Lodge No. 3, all located in Mobile and operating at that time under the jurisdiction of the Grand Lodge of Ohio. During the year of 1874,there was formed also in the state of Alabama another Colored Grand Lodge known as the National Compact Grand Lodge. These two Grand Lodges operated independently in the state of Alabama until August 1878 held in which convention the two Grand Lodges consolidated to form what is the present Grand Lodge of Alabama, adopting the name Most Worshipful Grand Lodge, A. F. & A. M. of Alabama, Prince Hall Affiliation.
The name was later changed to Most worshipful Prince Hall Grand Lodge, F. & A. M. of Alabama."
Please click on the MWPHGL of AL link above for more information. (MWPHGL of AL)